2015 Quapaw Canoe Company
Winter Solstice Christmas Party
Lighting the fire by the side of the river at sunset (photo by David Hanson)
Saturday Dec 19th in Clarksdale
Sunset 'til the fire burns out!
Family and kids-friendly. We'll provide songbooks for Christmas Caroling. Send your dreams to the creator
and help us keep the fires burning into the longest night of the year!
Mighty Quapaw Christmas Party 2015
Winter Solstice Bonfire on the Banks of the Sunflower River w/hot drinks, music, food and fire
Starts: Sunset Saturday Dec 19th
Ends: When the fire burns out
Banks of the Sunflower River
Behind Quapaw Canoe Company
3rd & Sunflower in Downtown Clarksdale
Yes! Bring your kids, or the kid in you. LiNKS = Leave no Kid on Shore (the name for our upcoming youth programming in 2016 and beyond).
Something to share: such as hot cider, hot cocoa, other drinks, soup, gumbo, chili, chips, bread, or anything else! We’ll have enamel cups, bowls, plates & silverware for all.
We'll also have Christmas Caroling songbooks for all to share!
This is our way of expressing our thanks to all for the beautiful year in 2015.
Canoing the Sunflower River in the beautiful blue light near sunset on the shortest day of the year: Winter Solstice.
(Mark River and some of his youth participants from of the GRIOT River Arts Program)
M i s s i s s i p p i R i v e r C o n n e c t s U s A l l
Poster now available online at the
Rivergator Map Shop
Mississippi River Connects Us All
New Poster now available! Printed on 80# Eames Solar White watercolor paper: Mississippi River Connects Us All. Original watercolor painting by John Ruskey, layout by James Tootle (Sundaram Design). Depicting the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca to the Gulf of Mexico. 2300 miles of river through the heart of America. This colorful depiction includes major tributaries the Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, Wabash, Cumberland, Tennessee, Arkansas, Yazoo, and Red Rivers -- everything down to the Gulf of Mexico. The Mississippi River truly connects us all! (in the center of the country). Also includes the major distributary, the Atchafalaya River. For sale in support of the www.rivergator.org Rivergator: the Paddler's Guide to the Middle & Lower Mississippi River. Prices include MS State Tax as well as Shipping & Handling US Priority Mail.
Ordering Information: Go to Rivergator Map Shop and choose your posters.
11x19 The Mississippi River Connects Us All
$30 incl taxes and S&H
(Ships within 48 hours by USPO Prioriy Mail)
24x35 The Mississippi River Connects Us All
$35 incl taxes and S&H
(Ships within 48 hours by USPO Prioriy Mail)
ALSO AVALABLE (through our friends at the Delta Bohemian)
23x20 The River Connects Us All
$205 (Contact the Delta Bohemians for orders & shipping)
Museum quality giclee printed on 120# acid free watercolor paper: The River Connects Us All. Limited Edition print of 200. Click here to go to the Delta Bohemian Art Gallery.
1 Mississippi Campaign Coordinator
CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Mississippi River Network (MRN, the Network) Campaign Coordinator helps to implement and grow the MRN’s public communications campaign called 1 Mississippi. The purpose of the campaign is to build a nationwide community of people (River Citizens) to protect the Mississippi River. The overarching goals of the campaign are to increase the number of River Citizens, to better engage and educate River Citizens and to encourage River Citizens to take advocacy action. The Mississippi River Network is a coalition managed by Bluestem Communications, a leader in building creative public communications campaigns.
As a full-time manager of the 1 Mississippi campaign, the Campaign Coordinator collaborates with the five Regional Hosts (MRN members) to hire, train and manage 1 Mississippi Outreach Assistants. Outreach Assistants are responsible for recruiting River Citizens as well as cultivating the River Citizens’ relationship to the River through education and engagement events with support from the Campaign Coordinator.
The Campaign Coordinator is responsible for organizing meetings, press conferences and engaging River Citizens to use their advocacy voice throughout the basin and specifically in Illinois and Iowa on MRN priority policy issues. He or she works towards acquiring press and increasing exposure for the 1 Mississippi campaign by building relationships with reporters and other member’s communications staff. This person identifies, tracks and manages press hits and analyzes how to continually improve the campaigns communications strategy. He or she will develop and guide a Campaign Committee to ensure that the communications strategy is delivered effectively to the public.
The Campaign Coordinator uses web development, social media and research skills to maintain, update and promote the 1 Mississippi website and social media accounts. The position requires staying up to date on policy issues involving the River, translating these and other complicated ideas to the general public and inspiring people to take action to help the River. All campaign materials are created by the Campaign Coordinator, in collaboration with Bluestem staff. In addition, the Campaign Coordinator seeks to increase the reach and resources of the campaign through grant writing as needed. The Campaign Coordinator reports to the MRN Program Manager.
The position involves other types of outreach such as presenting the 1 Mississippi message and campaign at conferences and networking to increase Bluestem’s exposure. Support and participation in other Bluestem projects is encouraged as well as opportunities for professional development.
Roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate the implementation and growth of a national public engagement campaign in order to engage people of voting age about the River
- Within the context of MRN’s policy priorities, organize in-basin meetings around policy issues and engage River Citizens to use their advocacy voice
- Identify and develop new and exciting outreach strategies consistent with MRN’s overall strategy and grant deliverables
- Write and produce all 1 Mississippi campaign materials and communications to River Citizens, including blog posts, newsletters, action alerts and all event materials
- Develop and manage current content on the 1 Mississippi website, regularly track its progress and promote it through online media
- Research and cultivate outreach techniques via social networking tools
- Recruit, train and manage five regional Outreach Assistants (located throughout the ten mainstem states) including planning a yearly training
- Oversee each region’s implementation of the 1 Mississippi campaign, providing guidance and support when necessary to coordinate engagement and recruitment events
- Collect and track data on campaign activities such as events held, River Citizens recruited, advocacy actions taken, letters/articles published; design and distribute annual River Citizen survey and report findings
- Attend and participate in all appropriate internal MRN planning meetings
- Assist with creation of MRN Campaign Committee meetings and attend and participate in other MRN committee meetings (Steering and Policy) as needed
- Research, draft and submit grant proposals that contribute to 1 Mississippi campaign funding
- Assist MRN Program Manager in planning and conducting large meetings, including the MRN Annual Meeting
- Other duties as needed
Responsibilities for Bluestem Communications work
- Attend staff meetings
- Participate in group work sessions, like strategic planning, brainstorming, large mailings, etc.
- Help with non-Mississippi-related writing tasks, as necessary and appropriate
Requirements for this position
- College degree
- 3 to 5 years experience with managing and implementing a public engagement campaign
- Organizing experience with a particular understanding of event planning
- Marketing knowledge with specific experience in social media and public communications
- Understanding of conservation-related environmental issues and advocacy
- Motivated self-starter who will eventually require little guidance
- Innovative and strategic thinker who is continually developing ways to improve campaign
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a friendly, outgoing manner
- Experience working on teams and in a small-office setting
- Current, valid Drivers License
Ideal candidates possess the above and are:
- Experienced with Salsa Labs, Adobe and Drupel
- Quick learners eager to take on new tasks
This is a salaried, full-time position. This position requires overnight travel approximately once to twice a month and at times requires weekend work for outreach/campaign events.
Bluestem Communications’ offices are located at 14 North Peoria St, Suite 4F, Chicago, IL 60607.
Salary and benefits
- Salary $35,000 – $40,000 – commensurate with experience
- Health insurance
- 5% of salary contribution to retirement fund
- Year 1: 15 days
- Year 2 and on: 20 days
- After 5 years: 25 days
- Nine paid sick days
- Twelve paid holidays
Please prepare and submit a cover letter explaining specifically how you meet the above criteria, your resume and at least two writing samples. Please apply ONLY if you have ALL of the above qualifications and can readily complete the listed tasks. Application packets that have form cover letters, grammatical errors or do not include at least two writing samples will not be considered. Email cover letter, resume and writing samples to Kelly McGinnis at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the email subject line, write “Campaign Coordinator.” No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis until the position is filled.
For more photos of the Lower Miss and more reading, go to www.rivergator.org
11x19 The Mississippi River Connects Us All
Poster now available online at the Rivergator Map Shop
The Lower Mississippi River Dispatch
is a service of the Lower Mississippi River Foundation